Knowing the facts about diabetes is your key to a successful treatment plan. Let the health care professionals at Kunkel Pharmacy help you achieve your goals. Kunkel Pharmacy carries a wide assortment of sugar-free foods, sugar-free over-the-counter cough, cold and vitamin supplements, travel cases, insulin reaction products, lancets and lancing devices, educational books and pamphlets, accessories and special needs products.
If you have any questions regarding these products, please don't hesitate to contact us.
Diabetes is a disease in which the body does not product or properly use insulin, a hormone that is needed to convert sugar, starches and other food into energy needed for daily life. The cause of diabetes is a mystery, although both genetics and environmental factors such as obesity and lack of exercise appear to play a role. There are two major types of diabetes:
- TYPE 1: An auto immune disease in which the body does not product any insulin, most often occurring in children and young adults. People with Type 1 diabetes must take daily insulin injections to stay alive. Type 1 diabetes accounts for 4 to 10 percent of diabetes.
- TYPE 11: A metabolic disorder resulting from the body's inability to make enough, or properly use insulin. It is the most common form of the disease. Type II diabetes accounts for 90 to 95 percent of diabetes. Type 11 diabetes is nearing epidemic proportions due to an increased number of older Americans, and a greater prevalence of obesity and a sedentary lifestyle.
- GESTATIONAL DIABETES: Developed in 2% to 5% of all pregnancies but disappears when a pregnancy is over. Women who have had gestational diabetes are at increased risk for later developing Type 11 diabetes.
- OTHER SPECIFIC TYPES: Other specific types of diabetes result from special genetic syndromes, surgery, drugs, malnutrition, infections, and other illnesses.
WARNING SIGNS OF DIABETES
- Frequent urination
- Unusual thirst
- Frequent infections
- Extreme hunger
- Blurred vision
- Unusual weight gain
- Cuts/bruises that are slow to heal
- Extreme fatigue
- Tingling/numbness in the hands or feet
- Recurring skin, gum or bladder infections
"The Diabetes Shoppe provides one of the largest selections of diabetes care products in the country and in an outlet for answering all of my concerns."
"Enhancing the quality of life for persons with diabetes, by providing personal education, quality products, and individualized service."